CuseWorks: FYTP – Orientation Leader (OL) - AY 2020-2021
The Office of First-Year and Transfer Programs (FYTP) within the Division of Enrollment and the Student Experience oversees new student orientation (Syracuse Welcome/Winter Welcome) for incoming undergraduates in August (4,000 students) and January (200 students), as well as year-long programming for first-year and transfer students. FYTP serves as a gateway and introduction for students to find resources and support as they begin their Syracuse University experience! Working within FYTP allows students to create a vibrant, welcoming, and inclusive community for incoming first-year and transfer students.
- Complete the application and submit materials by 11:59 p.m. on March 1, 2021
- Attend Virtual Group Process on March 7, 2021 from 12pm-4pm*
- Attend Virtual Individual Interviews on March 14, 2021 from 9am-4pm**
*In the event that there is a large number of applicants, we may extend the time for Group Process to accommodate. We may also utilize March 6, 2021 as an additional day.
**Individual interviews are by invitation only, and will only be 20-30 minutes in length. You will not be expected to participate from 9am-4pm.
Welcoming incoming students to campus, Orientation Leaders - or OLs - are passionate, returning student leaders. The team of OLs is highly trained to know Syracuse University and orientation.
Starting with spring semester training sessions, OLs prepare for Syracuse Welcome and to offer incoming Orange community members an exceptional experience. Additional highlights include:
- Attend 3 training sessions in Spring 2021 (March 27, April 10, and April 24 - will accommodate those attending virtually)
- Attend in-person training beginning as early as August 20, 2021 (subject to change due to travel restrictions and other academic calendar changes due to COVID-19).
- Assisting new students and families as they move into residence halls.
- Hosting and creating content for the Office of First-Year and Transfer Programs social media accounts.
- Planning and implementing Syracuse Welcome signature programs for new students and their families.
- Provide wayfinding and mentorship to new students.
- Creating and supporting meaningful relationships with new students, families, and the Orange community.
- Assist with recruitment efforts for future Orientation Leaders.
- Serve as a Winter Welcome Orientation leader if available.
Orientation Leader Qualifications
- May not hold any outside employment during August training and Syracuse Welcome (Aug. 20-29, 2021 - Dates subject to change).
- May not be a Resident Advisor, Dean's Team member, or Peer Advisor due to training responsibilities associated with the roles.
- Must have a 2.5 GPA by end of Spring 2021 semester.
- Must be in good judicial standing.
University Shared Competencies to be Gained
- Ethics, Integrity, and Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
- Critical and Creative Thinking
- Communication Skills
- Information Literacy and Technological Agility
Professional Skills to be Gained
- Conflict Management
- Time Management