Falk in DC - Career Exploration
Falk In D.C.
Career Exploration Trip
Falk College Career Services will lead 22 Falk students on a three-day tour of around 10 employers and organizations in Washington, DC, and Baltimore, MD.
Trip Dates: October 22-25, 2023
Along with Career Services staff, students will:
-Explore 8-10 different organizations with roles connected to Falk Majors, including:
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, with representatives from the FDA, NIH, and the Administration for Children and Families
- Living Classrooms Foundation
- PeacePlayers, International
- Bread for the City
- DC Health
- Urban Institute
- NFL Players Association
- Washington Nationals
- Monumental Sports and Entertainment
- Big League Advantage
- Booz Allen Hamilton
- More sites to be added as they are confirmed
-Learn the day-to-day nature of various positions, from international policy to direct local service
-Meet alumni in various fields of interest, hearing what experiences best prepared them to get where they are
Fees and Student Requirements
If selected, students will be responsible for the following:
- A non-refundable $100 activity fee that will go to funding the trip (if this would be a bar to participation for you, contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Out of pocket expense for up to four personal meals
- Attending one required pre-trip prep session
- Being present (physically and mentally) for the duration of the trip
Accepted students, at no additional expense, will be provided with the following:
- Bus to/from DC and Baltimore (pickup/drop off at College Place)
- Around 10 employer/alumni site visits
- Three nights of lodging
- Six meals, including a welcome dinner and alumni reception
- One surprise activity
22 students pursuing a Falk Major will be selected on the following criteria:
- Preference to Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors, and grad students; others may apply
- Representation of all Falk College Majors
- Professional interests that align with trip goals
- Demonstration of professional communication skills in representing Falk College
- Required attendance at any one Falk In D.C. info session (check Handshake Events page, search for "Falk In DC" or email email@example.com for scheduling problems)
Only complete applications will be considered. Complete applications include:
- A Resume - applicants will not be judged directly on the quality of their resume, but formatting assistance and automated resume feedback can be found at vmock.com/su (log in with NetID and Password) or make a resume appointment with Falk Careers on Handshake
- Responses to the supplemental questions - Attach a word doc or PDF responding to all questions listed in the "Other Document" section.
Thank you for your interest in the 2022 Falk In D.C. Career Exploration Trip!
Additional Application Questions:
1. Please provide a brief (up to 250 word) personal statement that introduces yourself and your professional/educational interests.
2. Describe how you believe visiting employers in Washington, DC, will benefit your career exploration and/or goals (up to 250 words).
3. Please identify the D.C. Immersion Trip employer (listed in the description or from info session) that is of greatest interest to you, and respond to the following (up to 250 words):
What type of role would you seek there (either near or long-term)?
What interests you about that role?
What is one question you would have for this employer?